BeerAdvocate Magazine
Jason Alström
2011-12-22 20:50:35 UTC
Last minute gift idea: Subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine. $15 for
12-issues http://t.co/ZGapPKD9
Garrison Hilliard
2011-12-23 22:30:43 UTC
COLUMBIA TWP. — It’s been closed since 2004, but the former Heritage
Restaurant is getting a makeover and is expected to reopen by summer.

Bob Slattery, who owns the property at 7664 Wooster Pike, as well as the
Hahanna Beach restaurant and sand volleyball facility across the street,
plans to convert the abandoned Heritage Restaurant into a microbrewery and
boutique event center called The Heritage Grand.

Slattery has been collecting ideas for the Heritage Restaurant building,
which was built in 1827, on www.heritagecoolideas.com, the site dedicated
to finding the next use for the historic building.

He said ideas coming from the website suggested everything from an Irish
funeral home to demolition. However, Slattery said “90 percent” of the
suggestions were to keep the building as is to preserve its history.

From that came The Heritage Grand, a seasonally themed boutique event
center and brew pub. Slattery plans to incorporate the history of the
existing building while also modernizing it for its next uses.

The microbrewery is starting from scratch, and Slattery said The Heritage
Grand will sell its brews on site as well as distribute them to local
establishments. Slattery said there aren’t many microbreweries in
Cincinnati, and none that will operate out of an historic building.

“We’re going to be very focused on the beer making side (of the
business),” he said.

Slattery said he’s getting help prior to renovations from the former owner
of the Heritage Restaurant.

“A lot of what we’re going to do was what’s been done in the past,” he
said.

Hyde Park resident Howard Melvin owned the Heritage Restaurant from 1959
to 2003. He’s currently working with Slattery on his plan “to reclaim some
of that history” the building has for many local residents.

Melvin said when the Heritage Restaurant closed shortly after he and his
wife sold the property, he held out hope the building would eventually
revert back to a restaurant.

“We’d always hoped the building would continue on,” he said. “We’re
delighted with what they’re doing.”

Slattery said he hopes to secure permits to begin working on the project
in the coming months. He said he expects the renovations and microbrewery
equipment will be “a least a $500,000 investment.”

http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/C2/20111222/NEWS/312220024/

usenet FREE-----> news://gall.mine.nu
Comics----------> http://gall.mine.nu/comics
java-chat-------> http://gall.mine.nu/c