where is everybody
martyn dawe
2009-02-17 08:30:13 UTC
does anybody use this group these days ?
tomkanpa
2009-02-17 13:19:07 UTC
Post by martyn dawe
does anybody use this group these days ?
A few months ago there were hundreds of SPAM articles posted. I think
this drove readers/posters away.
Donald Gortemiller
2009-02-17 23:10:10 UTC
With the advent of blogging and rss feeds, people are getting this type of
content elsewhere.
Newsgroups days are indeed numbered.
GregS
2009-02-18 15:21:08 UTC
Post by martyn dawe
does anybody use this group these days ?
I have not seen much change in this group.

It seems young people don't like Usenet, but
Usenet has true worth and simplicity, and forums get too involved.
I'm tired of picking up new usernames and passwords.
usenet is archieved, and when a forum goes down, everything
is lost. You can monitor tens, hundreds of different
topics. Try to keep all those web broswers opened, with
tens and hundreds of open links.

greg
Joel
2009-02-18 15:37:14 UTC
Post by GregS
Post by Donald Gortemiller
Post by martyn dawe
does anybody use this group these days ?
With the advent of blogging and rss feeds, people are getting this type of
content elsewhere. Newsgroups days are indeed numbered.
I have not seen much change in this group.
There's been a huge change in activity here compared to
five or so years ago.
Post by GregS
It seems young people don't like Usenet, but
Usenet has true worth and simplicity, and forums get too involved.
I'm tired of picking up new usernames and passwords.
usenet is archieved, and when a forum goes down, everything
is lost. You can monitor tens, hundreds of different
topics. Try to keep all those web broswers opened, with
tens and hundreds of open links.
I agree. You also have the issue of censorship. While
moderation can at times be desirable, I've seen moderation
in some web forums become harse, arbitrary, petty, and
needlessly dictatorial.
--
Joel Plutchak

"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
other reason but because they are not already common." - John Locke
the real dgs
2009-02-19 01:49:29 UTC
On 2/18/2009 7:37 AM Joel ignored two million years of human evolution
Post by Joel
Post by GregS
Post by Donald Gortemiller
Post by martyn dawe
does anybody use this group these days ?
With the advent of blogging and rss feeds, people are getting this type of
content elsewhere. Newsgroups days are indeed numbered.
I have not seen much change in this group.
There's been a huge change in activity here compared to
five or so years ago.
The change seems even bigger compared to ten years ago, when two
of Usenet's most asshole-ish trolls were infesting this group.
Post by Joel
While
moderation can at times be desirable, I've seen moderation
in some web forums become harse, arbitrary, petty, and
needlessly dictatorial.
Moderation works at a cost. Better yet for asshole trolls to
expose themselves and slink off in shame.

ObBeer: Finale weekend, San Francisco Beer Week. Five different
hefeweizens at Gordon Biersch, a nice session at Monk's Kettle,
and a killer beer & chocolate dinner at the Cathedral Hill Hotel.
Judged barleywine for the Toronado, went to the Celebrator's Best
of the West party, and somehow found time to hit Magnolia, Alembic,
La Trappe, 21st Amendment, and Suppenküche. Boo-yah!