Back to Pilsners
Joel
2009-04-24 13:25:00 UTC
PU is not what it used to be. They shortened lagering times from 3
months to 1 month and only use 1 yeast strain.
I've also heard (from somebody who visited) that they now use
stainless steel fermenters instead of the old-style wooden ones.
I understand they still have some that you can taste on premises
that are done the older way.
Personally, I think it's still a good beer but it does seem
a bit more sterile than it used to be.
--
Joel Plutchak

"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
other reason but because they are not already common." - John Locke
all of dgs
2009-04-29 18:16:54 UTC
On 4/24/2009 6:25 AM Joel ignored two million years of human evolution
Post by Joel
PU is not what it used to be. They shortened lagering times from 3
months to 1 month and only use 1 yeast strain.
I've also heard (from somebody who visited) that they now use
stainless steel fermenters instead of the old-style wooden ones.
True, but the old wooden fermenters have found Very Good Homes in
the Pajottenland, where they now hold lambics. That's a nice big
step up, AFAIC. I've seen some of them in, um, "action" recently.

ObDiversion: Toer de Geuze. A must for the lambic-loving beer
geek, as much as the Hajj is for observant Muslims. Srsly. One of
the best Sundays out ... ever.
Post by Joel
I understand they still have some that you can taste on premises
that are done the older way.
"While stocks last!"
Post by Joel
Personally, I think it's still a good beer but it does seem
a bit more sterile than it used to be.
It's not a bad go-to beer, but yes, "a bit more sterile" is one
way of putting it. Chalk it up to PU being part of a big international
conglomerate and the perceived need to "modernize" to compete with a
global brand on a global scale.
--
dgs